Welcome to our Site for MG, Triumph and Austin-Healey Car Information.
MG Midget and Sprite Technical - Venhill Teflon Throttle Cable? 1500
I have always had a throttle cable that is a bit on/off especially when setting off.
I have heard good things about Venhill Universal teflon throttle cables. I am looking to order one but getting confused about which one to buy. They seen to have two listed one with a 5mm outer and one with a 6mm outer.
Has anyone got any experience of them and which one should I buy?
To make it fit the 1500 will i need any of the extra fittings listed on the pages?
Here's a link to a thread in the archive that will tell you all about it.
The thread contains a link to the cable I used. Any Qs feel free.........
Prepare to be amazed - the difference it makes to throttle control is incredible.
|Hi Rod |
Thanks so much for the info, I have just ordered the same one. I am hoping to be amazed, my original throttle cable goes from being pretty bad to almost making the car hop down the road.
Do you need to lubricate the cable prior to fitting, if so I will also need either and ptfe lube that you used I guess.
I am hoping it arrives before the weekend and I have time to fit it to make the trip to Silverstone this weekend a bit easier!
Thanks again for the help
PS I might post more requests for help when it arrives and I try to fit it!!
|I am not sure what Rod would advise, but it is not necessary to lubricate a Teflon lined cable assembly.|
It can cause dust etc, to stick to the lubricant which can cause more problems.
In all the years that I have used a Teflon throttle cable, I have never lubricated the cable, but I do lubricate the linkages at the ends.
|JB is correct I think. I did lube the sleeve before assembling it, but on mature reflection I decided not to bother when I made up the same kit for 3 other cars just after I did mine. They are all fine without the lube.|
|Correct Rod, its Teflon in the tube, not lubricated mine and all well after 2 and a half years of daily driving.|
Well chuffed compared to the standard on off type.
Daughter uses them on her suzi as well in the unprotected rain and muck.
|Yes, the teflon is the lubricant. No need for anything else to muck up the workings. My teflon lined bicycle brake cable setup has worked well for 5 or 6 years now.|
Here's a link to another (short) archived thread on the same topic that I just remembered. It has a couple extra little bits of info that might just help you.
And going back to your original Q no - you don't need any extra bits. Everything you need is either in the kit or can be salvaged from your f++++d-up original cable.
When I did the 3 other cables I made a sort of special tool. I drilled a hole in a bit of scrap pine batten just big enough to push the cable sheath through. Then I nipped it in the vice until it "only just and no more" gripped the sheath to make it easier to cut it with the hacksaw. That way it was easy to make a clean accurate cut.
Hope this helps. And don't bother with the lube. It's a waste of time and ptfe spray.
|Hey brilliant. Thank you to everyone for helping. |
Just got to wait for mine to arrive and I will have a go. I might wait till after silverstone this weekend as I might cock it all up and be left without a useable car to take!
|Right. It arrived today and had a look at all the fittings etc. The old cable had to be cut so I could get the carb connector on the end then secured with one of the brass fittings soldered on. |
The pedal end also needed a brass fitting on it which I had to solder in the footwell due to none of them fitting through the bulkhead hole.
All seems to be working. I am a bit concerned that the pedal fitting now doesn't fit into the actual slot on the pedal due to the fittings being drilled cross ways instead of length ways but it seems to hold on the outside of the bar with tension.
Fingers crossed the soldered joints hold up. I didn't think solder was that strong! I must be wrong.
I am considering buying a spare from moss to keep in the car for the trip to Silverstone this weekend just in case there are any problems.
Thanks again for all your input.
|"due to the fittings being drilled crossways instead of lengthways"|
That's why I drilled mine lengthways (axially). Perfect fit! Plus it went through the bulkhead hole no problem in that orientation.
Great to hear it's working though. Noticed the improvement?
I would have liked to have drilled them length ways but I don't have a vice to hold them unfortunately.
I have not had chance to drive it yet but hoping it will be a lot better.
|I've got a spare one on my desk already drilled ready to go. If you can desolder yours without a drama and you want it I'll post it to you tonight.|
Txt your address to 07541 162132.
|That's very kind of you Rod. I will text you now. Simon|
|On its way. (Check your voicemail BTW).|
I did mine with a Venhill Kit - Best £10.34 I've spent.
If you look at their website it has tips about soldering "Fingers crossed the soldered joints hold up. I didn't think solder was that strong!"
It says about "Bird Caging" the end of the inner cable.
I used pliers with the wire in a vice. Worked a treat. They're rock solid
This thread was discussed between 15/06/2015 and 18/06/2015
This thread is from the archives. Join the live MG Midget and Sprite Technical BBS now